Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Get answers to the top frequently asked questions about Frankenmuth, MI.
Find out how Frankenmuth got its name and what we’re most known for, and more.
What is Frankenmuth, Michigan known for?
Frankenmuth is known as Michigan’s “Little Bavarian” offering warm Bavarian hospitality and a family-friendly festive atmosphere all year long.
What does the name "Frankenmuth" mean?
Our city’s name is a combination of two words. “Franken” refers to the Franconian province where our original Bavarian settlers came from. The word “mut” translates to “courage” in German. So when you put the two together, Frankenmuth means “courage of the Franconians.”
What is there to do in Frankenmuth, Michigan?
Below are a few of the top attractions and things to do and discover here. If it’s your first time visiting, then check out our first timer’s guide. If you’re traveling with kids, then get inspired by our top family things to do post here.
- Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland: Visit the world’s largest Christmas store and keep the holiday spirit going year-round.
- German cuisine: Try the world-famous chicken dinners at Zehnder’s or learn to roll pretzels at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant.
- Annual Festivals & Events: From the Christmas and Holiday season to World Expo of Beer, Oktoberfest, and the Summer Music Fest, amazing events are happening all year long!
- Indoor Waterparks: Frankenmuth is home to two of Michigan’s top indoor waterparks.
- Cass River Tours: Cruise the river on a boat tour or take a kayak or canoe out for a spin.
How do I get to Frankenmuth?
Frankenmuth is located just minutes east of I-75 between Flint and Saginaw, Michigan. If you are heading Northbound, then use exit 136. If you are heading Southbound, then take exit 144.
How far is Frankenmuth from other nearby cities?
Here are the driving distances between Frankenmuth and other nearby cities.
- Ann Arbor, MI - 50 miles
- Bay City, MI 19 miles
- Chicago, IL - 287 miles
- Cleveland, OH - 241 miles
- Detroit, MI - 86 miles
- Flint, MI - 26 miles
- Grand Rapids, MI - 118 miles
- Gunzenhausen, GER - 4,505 miles
- Lansing, MI - 76 miles
- London, ON - 237 kilometers
- Mackinaw City, MI 202 miles
- Midland, MI - 40 miles
- Port Huron, MI - 94 miles
- Saginaw, MI 16 miles
- South Bend, IN - 222 miles
- Toledo, OH - 129 miles
Are there free things to do in Frankenmuth, MI?
Yes, there are plenty of free and budget-friendly things to do here. Even the street parking is free (you won’t find a parking meter in sight!) Get a full list of free things to do here, including these top attractions and events:
- Gnome Hunt
- Glockenspiel Summer Concert Series
- Frankenmuth Brewery Tour
- Fudge & Taffy Kitchens
- Bronner’s Silent Night Chapel
- Covered Bridge
- St. Lorenz Lutheran Church Tour
- Bronner’s Christmas Lane
- Great Lakes Olive Oil Company
- Friday Fun Nights
- Charlin’s Book Nook
- Cheese Haus Figurinespiel
See more free things to do here.
What is the weather like in Frankenmuth?
Frankenmuth is a lovely spring and summer destination, with mild temperatures and average highs topping off in the 80s during the warmer months. Fall temperatures are crisp but not too cold, just perfect for outdoor fun and leaf-peeping. Temperatures will drop into the 20s and 30s in the winter months, so bundle up for those colder months. Visit our weather page for the upcoming forecast and average high and low temperatures by month.