St. Lorenz Replica Log Church

St. Lorenz Replica Log Church

1030 W. Tuscola St.
Frankenmuth, MI 48734

Phone: 989-652-6141

St. Lorenz Replica Log Church

Overview

In 1845 15 German missionaries came over from Neuendettelsau to show the Native American’s “how wonderful it is to live with Jesus.” Temporary shelter was provided by a quickly constructed “community house.” A similar structure served as a church and parsonage. Although too late in the year for planting, the land was parceled out and clearing the dense forests began. Seventy acres were dedicated to church use. The following June, nearly 100 more immigrants arrived from Rosstal – Gunzenhausen – Nürnberg area. The newly expanded congregation began construction of a larger, sturdier “church – school – parsonage,” which was dedicated on Christmas Day 1846. A replica of the modest structure stands in its original location as a tribute to those members of St. Lorenz.