You're about to have a doggone fun weekend in Michigan's Little Bavaria...
Not often does Fido get to go on family vacations, but this weekend, it's all about the dogs at Frankenmuth Dog Bowl.
Frankenmuth Dog Bowl, the world’s largest Olympic style festival for dogs, begins the Saturday before Memorial Day at 8am with practice for the Dock Dogs competition. If you’ve never seen this event, do not miss out this year. Over 100 dogs will compete on things like distance, height, and speed by jumping into a pool of water.
The fun doesn’t stop at Dock Dogs! There are also events like Disc Dogs, Doggie Dash, and much more.
One of the most popular events is the Wiener Dog Races. Over 200 Dachshunds will try their paw at winning the title of Fastest Wiener. Over $1,000 in prizes will be awarded.
Don’t miss out on the action, check the Dog Bowl website for full event details.
Balloons Over Bavarian Inn starts Friday night (May 28th) and will run simultaneously to the Dog Bowl, Saturday and Sunday. A Monday morning flight will also take place Monday, May 31st!
Although you won’t be able to go up in the competing hot air balloons, you will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with the balloons and their captains Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings at the Balloon launch field Glow from 7-10pm.
Tethered balloon rides will also be available at the Bavarian Inn Lodge! If winds are calm, you will be able to experience a hot air balloon ride Friday - Sunday from 5pm-dusk. This 5-7 minute experience will take place on the front lawn of the Bavarian Inn Lodge and will lift you up 30-50ft in a tethered-to-the ground hot air balloon!
Check out the full Balloons Over Bavarian Inn event schedule.
A visit to Michigan Heroes Museum is a great way to reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day.
They are the only museum of its kind devoted to wartime experiences of men and women from the state of Michigan. They also hold the largest collection of Medal’s of Honor in the country. There is also the Veteran's Memorial, located on the corner of Tuscola and Main St. across from the Frankenmuth Brewery. Take some time this Memorial Day to visit the museum and meet these heroes.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind this weekend:
1. Dog Bowl and Balloons over Bavarian Inn are both FREE to enter. There may be registration fees for some events but it does not cost anything to come and watch the events making it the perfect economical family vacation!
2. A VIP Festival Package that includes a Special Event Parking Pass is available! Click here for more VIP Festival Package details.
3. There will be doggie watering stations throughout the festival grounds! There are also TWO doggie play parks on the festival grounds for dogs to relax with their owners, off leash if they are good boys or girls!
4. There are several dog friendly restaurants and hotels in the area. View the list and plan your trip.
5. Forgot your doggie poo bags? No problem! They will be located throughout the event for your convenience.
6. Most shops located within River Place are pet friendly. Pet-friendly store locations can be found here.
7. Stop by the Frankenmuth Visitor Center or the map stands at River Place to pick up a festival brochure. They have a more detailed listing of the events taking place, many happen simultaneously.
8. Don’t miss Zehnder’s Firework Show! They take place Sunday evening around 9:45pm. Check out the evening balloon glow and watch the fireworks from the River Place Shops!
9. Use #Frankenmuth this weekend for a chance to be featured on our site and on social media. We'll be sharing our favorite images throughout the weekend!