Memorial Day Weekend in Frankenmuth is the kickoff to summer with Dog Bowl and Balloons Over Bavarian Inn.
Not often does Fido get to go on family vacations, but this weekend, its all about the dogs at Frankenmuth Dog Bowl. Dog Bowl, the world’s largest Olympic style event for dogs, begins Saturday at 8am with practice for the Dock Dogs competition. If you’ve never seen this event, do not miss out this year. Over 100 dogs will compete this year on things like distance, height and speed by jumping into a pool of water. Winners from this event will qualify for DockDogs National Championships out west in October. The fun doesn’t stop at DockDogs, there are also events like Disc Dogs, Doggie Dash, agility demonstrations and much more. One of the most popular events is the Weiner Dog Races. Over 200 Weiner dogs will try their paws at winning the title of fastest Weiner, over $1000 in prizes will be awarded. Don’t miss out on the action, check the Dog Bowl website for full event details.
Balloons Over Bavarian Inn starts Friday night (May 24) and will run simultaneously to the Dog Bowl Saturday and Sunday.
Although you won’t be able to go up in the hot air balloons, you will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with the balloons and their captains Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings at the Balloon Glow from 9-10pm. For the full event schedule, click here.
A visit to Michigan’s Military and Space Heroes Museum is a great way to reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day. They are the only museum of its kind devoted to wartime experiences of men and women from the state of Michigan. They also hold the largest collection of Medal’s of Honor in the country. There is also the Veterans Memorial, located on the corner of Tuscola and Main St. across from the Frankenmuth Brewery, take some time this Memorial Day to visit the museum and meet these heroes.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind this weekend:
- Dog Bowl and Balloons over Bavarian Inn are both FREE to enter. There may be registration fees for some events but it does not cost anything to come and watch the events making it the perfect economical family vacation!
- You’re more likely to find parking further away than in the center of the action.
*Bonus: Parking further out makes exiting Frankenmuth much easier.
- There are doggie water stations located at Hello Cats and Dogs in the River Place Shops and also downtown at Jaami’s Ice Cream and Treats.
- There are pet friendly dining options: Bavarian Inn Lodge – Schnitzelbank Biergarten, Bavarian Inn Restaurant – Fischer Platz, Dock Dogs food tent, Bratwurst Patio – next to Fest Platz or the Paw Platz – open to the general public.
- Forgot your doggie poo bags? No problem! They will be located throughout the event for your convenience.
- Most shops located within River Place are pet friendly.
- Stop by the Frankenmuth Visitor Center or the map stands at River Place to pick up a festival brochure. They have a more detailed listing of the events taking place, many happen simultaneously.
- Don’t miss the Zehnder’s fireworks! They take place Sunday evening around 9:45pm and can best be seen from Zehnder’s parking lot.
- Use #SeeFrankenmuth this weekend for a chance to be featured on our site and on social media.