Zehnder’s Snowfest is celebrating its 25th year of winter fun in Frankenmuth January 27 – February 1, 2016. Your family can shake that cabin fever and enjoy the art of snow and ice carvings, free family activities and warming tent entertainment. You’re probably thinking to yourself, a festival in the middle of a Michigan winter is only for the toughest crowds. Danielle Wood from Zehnder’s of Frankenmuth is here to change your mind with a list of 25 tips to help you survive Snowfest and make family memories that will last a lifetime!
- Arrive prior to 11a.m. to find the best parking on the weekend.
- Plan your route and desired parking before you leave. Parking areas and alternate routes for Northbound 1-75 travelers: take Exit 136, go east to the first light on Dixie Highway, then continue to Dehmel Road and turn left. Follow Dehmel to Curtis Road; turn right on Curtis. Follow Curtis to Flint St. then turn left and park at the Fortress Golf Course parking lot or the Boy Scout building lot. Southbound 1-75 travelers: take Exit 144A (Dixie Highway) to Junction or Curtis.
- Shuttled transportation into town is available at Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland on Saturday 11am – 10 pm and Sunday 12pm – 6pm
- The largest parking lots are available at the River Place Shops, Bronner’s, Zehnder’s, Boy Scout Building and Heritage Park.
- Make your dining reservations now! Zehnder’s Restaurant does take dining reservations based on availability, you can make yours today by calling (800) 863-7999.
- The best place to begin your tour of the snow sculptures (and possibly your Frankenmuth shopping spree) is at Frankenmuth River Place Shops.
- There are sculptures all over town! Zehnder’s Restaurant features the World-Class Single and Double Block Competition along with a 3 block feature piece, Bavarian Inn hosts the State Competition snow blocks, and River Place hosts the High School snow sculpting competition.
- Before strolling through town, pick up your fresh popped popcorn from Mystic Kettle located behind Zehnder’s Restaurant.
- Come out on Wednesday at 10am to taste the best of home cooking at our annual Apple Contest. Free samples from the competition along with free recipe books to try your favorites at home! You’ll also get some tips and baking demonstrations from Celebrity Chef Becky Wortman.
- It wouldn’t be a real Frankenmuth festival without a little polka! Wednesday evening in the warming tent you’ll find beer, brats and great polka dancing music by the Kowalski Brothers.
- Birch Run Premium Outlets donates great prizes for Snowfest, we start giving them away at Bingo on Thursday, January 28 from 1pm – 3pm. Free to play for all ages!
- Thursday night at 8pm we are accepting personal needs item donations for the City Rescue Mission of Saginaw inside Zehnder’s warming tent at the Battle of the DJ’s event. Admission to that event is free and anyone that donates items is entered into a raffle for great prizes!
- Many activities at Snowfest are absolutely free including the children’s Petting Zoo on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Other activities are offered for a nominal fee including $2.00 carousel rides, $2.00 pony rides and a $5.00 entrance fee to the warming tent Friday and Saturday after 6pm.
- Our warming tent is actually heated! Many first timers show up to the tent ready to brave drafty walls and cold spots. Feel free to shed your coat and dance the night away on Friday for Country Night featuring Moonshine Mavericks and Saturday featuring The Rock Show and Jedi Mind Trip.
- Warm up your good arm for Chicken Bowling, we won’t explain it… you have to see it for yourself Friday – Sunday at the Frankenmuth Chamber/Visitor Center.
- We end Saturday with a bang! Watch our choreographed fireworks display from Zehnder’s parking lot at 6:45 pm.
- Get your photo taken with ice sculptures of America’s favorite super heroes in our 100 block ice display, located in Zehnder’s parking lot.
- Bring your camera for a chance to win! Each year we host a Snowfest Photo Impressions contest, upload your favorite festival photo to our Facebook contest page for your chance to win great prizes!
- “Like” Zehnder’s Snowfest Facebook Fan page or follow us on Twitter to get the latest updates and photos live from the festival!
- Don’t forget to cheer on your favorite carvers and vote for your favorite Single, Double, State and High School snow blocks. Ballots boxes are placed in Zehnder’s warming tent, information tent, River Place Shops cafeteria, and Bavarian Inn warming tent. The “People’s Choice” award is the greatest award to receive as a carver!
- Those who want a leisurely stroll through the festival without the crowds should visit Sunday evening or Monday, February 1, 2016.
- Don’t miss the annual ACF Hot Food Competition New Orleans style on Monday! Tickets are only $30.00 for your Mardi Gras feast and all proceeds go to the East Side Soup Kitchen.
- Our history photo boards will display a blast from Snowfest’s past, they will be featured in several areas throughout the festival site.
- For a festival map and a complete schedule of events, visit: zehnders.com/zehnderssnowfest/index.php/zehnders-snowfest-2015-schedule-of-events/
We appreciate the support we have received from our guests, carvers and sponsors over the past 25 years! We are so excited to welcome you to Zehnder’s Snowfest 2016!
Danielle Wood is the Sales Manager for Zehnder’s of Frankenmuth and has been with them for over two years.